Thursday, August 6, 2009

Movie Review -- Moon

Has anyone else noticed how the Science Fiction genre is slowly starting to creep back into mainstream pop culture? Shit, I don't care, the more the better if you ask me. The latest Science Fiction hurrah put out by Hollywood these days is titled Moon. Directed by Duncan Jones, who I think is David Bowie's son (I could be wrong), and starring Sam Rockwell, Moon actually turned out to be a decent flick.

After watching the trailer for Moon, I thought to myself, fuck me silly, the next 2001: A Space Odyssey is here. I mean, when one hears Kevin Spacey's monotonous voice come out of a computer, one cannot help but think about the evil HAL in Kubrick's classic science fiction movie. Even the rest of the spaceship seemed to be modeled after the machines in 2001. Needless to say, that, and the interesting twist introduced in the trailer, Sam Rockwell finding another living version of himself in space (!), had me very excited about this movie.

The movie is what I expected it to be: Sam Rockwell on a spaceship talking to a computer and his other self for 97 minutes. Sounds boring, right? Actually, not really. The initial idea behind the trailer was rather creative, and to be honest with you, the only reason I paid 10 dollars and 50 fucking cents to see this movie. However, that's where I think the film lost some of its magic. Instead of leading this movie down an interesting path, the entire thing just felt a bit safe at times. Especially the ending, it was just downright lazy. I will not ruin the second twist of the film, but I will say this: I was expecting time travel, and I got something else.

With that minor (?) issue out of the way, you should know that Sam Rockwell's performance is a good enough reason to go see this movie. I mean, dude, it was like, woah. Seeing two completely different characters up on that silver screen being played by the same actor was nothing short of fascinating. I wouldn't mind seeing Rockwell get some accolades for this one. And despite how mundane the plot might seem at times, there are some touching scenes here. Director Jones even raises some important questions, such as, what exactly does it mean to be human? I would like to discuss that part of the film here, but hey, I can't. I would ruin the entire thing for you.

Recommendation: Moon is a solid movie, but wait for the rental. It's not worth $10.50, its worth about maybe $8.00.


Rating: 3/4


No comments:

Post a Comment